Unlike many other organizations, we don’t charge hefty participation fees to volunteer. This makes it easier for volunteers to stay longer periods of time, which we strongly encourage. We offer several options to accommodate the distinct desires of different volunteers:
- If staying at the PSF HQ, each volunteer contributes S/. 130 each week to cover room1 and board2 as well as general maintenance expenses.
- Volunteers who choose to stay in a nearby hostel will pay from S/. 15 – S/. 40 per night and contribute S/. 100 per week for board and general maintenance expenses.
- Volunteers who choose to stay in a nearby hostel and eat all meals outside of PSF will contribute S/. 30 per week to general maintenance expenses.
* Please note that all volunteers pay up front for each week they intend to stay. At this time PSF only accepts local currency (Peruvian Nuevos Soles), which may be withdrawn from ATMs or exchanged for US Dollars or Euros in the center of town.
Additional Costs of Living & Incidentals:
We strongly recommend budgeting in advance for additional meals, incidentals, and transportation that are not covered by volunteer contributions. Although these costs will vary for different volunteers, we’ve estimated the prices of the following items to give you a better idea of what you can expect to spend in the area.
Food & Drink:
- “Menu del Dia” (typical lunch including an appetizer, entrée and drink) = S/. 6 – 10
- Lunch or dinner “a la carta” (more upscale restaurant) = S/. 10 – S/. 25
- Cocacola = S/. 2.00
- Large Bottled Water (2.5 L) = S/. 2.50 – 3.50
- Empanada = S/. 1.00 – 2.50
- Bananas (5x) = S/. 1.00
- A mototaxi ride into town = S/. 1.50 – 2.50
- Round trip public transportation to Ica (regional capital) = S/. 18 – 20
- Taxi to Paracas = S/. 10
- Colectivo to Paracas = S/. 3.00 – 4.00
- Large bottle of water (2.5 liters) = S/. 2.50 – 3.00
- Large beer (650 ml – store bought) = S/. 3.50 – 5.00
- Cigarettes = S/. 7.00
- Gym Membership = S/. 40 – 50 per month
- Hostal bed in Huacachina (outside Ica) = S/. 20 – 30 (dormitory), S/. 45 – 130 (private matrimonial)
- Pisco Sour (at a bar) = S/. 8 – 15
- Cover charge (for discoteca) = S/. 10 – 20
- Boat tour to Islas Ballestas = S/. 30 – 40 (depending on the season)
- Laundry service = S/. 5 – 8 per kilo